HELP! MY HAIR IS FALLING OUT
The clogged shower drain, the hair art we make on the shower wall, the boar bristle brush that could be mistaken for a small, furry animal - these are all tell-tale signs of our hair annoyingly falling out.
As women, we notice the accumulation of fallen hair the most while we are doing the standard ops of taking care of our hair and making it look oh-so-pretty. Truth be told, these basic beauty practices are hard on our hair - roughing it up and placing stress and strain on delicate strands. It's no wonder we experience all this hair fall…but is there a bigger reason behind it?
Let's dig deeper into the Causes of women's hair fall and How to get rid of hair fall.
WHAT CAUSE HAIR TO FALL OUT IN WOMEN?
It's practically impossible to stop hair from falling out as natural shedding is part of the hair growth cycle. In fact, someone with "healthy" hair on average loses 50-100 strands a day. But at times, depending on what we are doing to our hair or what may be happening within our lives and our bodies, we may experience excessive hair fall - more around the 200+ count. Following are some potential causes from various biological reasons and self-inflicted beauty habits that may be contributing to your hair fall.
Some of us (thanks grams and gramps) will be have a genetic predisposition to hair loss - known as Female Pattern Hair Loss (FPHL). As we age, we will start to see what's called diffuse thinning, where we have a widening of the part and thinning in the crown of the head. Other biological reasons can be crash dieting or poor nutrition, an acute stress incident like surgery or chronic stress (teenager in the house anyone?). There is also the incredibly off-putting postpartum cascade of hair fall. That's when you cry in dismay that it's utterly unfair to be both THIS tired AND have clumps of your hair falling out!
These aforementioned reasons tend to be the more common hair fall culprits, but thyroid issues or the onset of more serious hair loss conditions like alopecia areata, which is triggered by an autoimmune disorder, could also be to blame. Determining how to stop hair from falling out can be a very complex issue and one that may require the help of a professional. Don't be shy to talk to your doctor, your dermatologist and/or your stylist. A hair loss specialist can help you identify the problem so you can address how to avoid hair fall, or at least control it as best you can.
Washing, Drying & Styling
Not all hair fall is induced by biological reasons. The risk of women's hair falling out is closely tied to the way we manage our manes. Our daily hair care practices, like simple shampooing, detangling, blow-drying and flat-ironing, can yank and stress our hair, causing hair to get physically pulled out. Of course, our hair is going to fall out from the natural growth cycle, but we are often far from gentle on our hair, which results in piles of lost strands around our sink and wrapped up in our hair brush.
Braids, Ponytails, Extensions & Weaves
Yes, they are fashionable. Yes, they make bad hair days better. And yes, if volume is an issue, they can transform the thinnest threads - but these common styles can wreak havoc on hair due to excessive tension and pulling. Over time, if we repeatedly wear our hair up, tightened, pulled back or weighed down, our little hair follicles get overly fatigued. The result? Excessive hair fall, or even worse, some follicles give up the good fight and can actually die causing permanent hair loss, aka traction alopecia.
HOW TO STOP HAIR FALL IN WOMEN
It may seem daunting after reading ALL the possible reasons for hair fall, but do not fear, you can still coif with confidence. There is no magic cure to immediately stop hair fall, but solutions on how to minimize hair fall are plentiful, ranging from products to best practices to changing some of your old, repeat habits.
Best Practices & Product Tips:
1. Wash & towel dry hair gently. Strengthening and hydrating shampoos/conditioners will help reduce breakage and improve elasticity of hair. Using a micro towel is preferred and gently squeezing out excess water verses rubbing the towel all over your head.
2. Air drying hair is better, but if you must blow dry, use a low heat setting or cool air. Also, select a brush that easily detangles (a Wet Brush works wonders) or use a wide-tooth comb. Always start at the ends of hair and work your way up to the roots.
3. If you are heat styling, use a protective spray to reduce damage and use tools at a lower heat setting.
4. Take a hair vitamin rich in biotin, omega fatty acids, and minerals like zinc and iron. (SugarBearHair wins for taste & cuteness!) Try your best to eat a well-balanced diet and drink LOTS of water. Hydration is key to healthy hair (and skin!).
5. Give hair a break from tight ponytails, braids and wearing extensions. If you must wear your 'do up, switch the style from low to high, or part hair in a different direction so you give the hair follicles a break from repeat tension. Consider clip-in extension or halo/wire extensions as they can be removed at the end of the day, giving hair a well-deserved break from pulling.
6. Silk or satin pillowcases do the trick for combatting breakage and roughing up the hair. (Allure.com has a great article on hair-friendly pillowcase recommendations)
7. If hair fall is abundant, speak to you doctor about minoxidil, which is topically applied OTC hair loss treatment approved for women.
8. When washing, brushing and styling, defend the hair you have with a Root Securing Complex like INTACT. Fast and effective, it will help reduce hair fall when hair is most vulnerable from washing and styling.
A NEW SOLUTION TO HAIR FALL - INTACT ROOT SECURING COMPLEX
Unlike anything available to date, INTACT provides a truly unique solution on how to stop hair fall immediately as it activates in just 10 minutes and lasts for hours. INTACT significantly reduces hair pull and hair fall by fortifying the hair matrix and increasing the force it takes to pull out hair. Applied directly to the scalp prior to washing hair, INTACT provides defense from day-to-day hair trauma both at home or in the salon.
KEEP MORE HAIR ON YOUR HEAD, NOT IN THE BRUSH™
When every strand counts it's time to reach for INTACT. Help minimize hair fall and be one of the first to experience the only beauty product proven to help reduce hair fall during salon services and at-home washing and styling.